Handheld Barcode Readers: Choosing the Best Device for Your Applications
For years, DataMan handheld barcode readers have provided best-in-class performance for decoding 1D and 2D codes in industrial environments to improve part traceability and factory efficiency. Feedback from customers noted conventional handheld barcode readers have had trouble in the following areas:
- Reading challenging direct part mark (DPM) codes
- Decoding any 1D or 2D code quickly
- Withstanding damaging oils and fluids
- Seamlessly connecting to networks
- Providing operator feedback
- Sustaining battery life for a full work shift
To solve these challenges, Cognex engineered the DataMan 8700DX, built on a completely redesigned platform with cutting-edge performance, more robustness, and easier setup.
And now, we’ve expanded the 8700 Series handheld barcode readers with the addition of the 8700DQ, giving users a range of options to solve their most challenging applications.
Here are 3 key considerations to keep in mind when selecting a handheld barcode reader.
#1: Devices that can handle challenging codes with the latest technology
DataMan 8700 Series can instantly read challenging DPM and label-based codes, even when vital elements of the code are missing or damaged due to the latest advanced technology:
- 1DMax with Hotbars optimizes DataMan 8700 readers for omnidirectional 1D barcode reading, decoding up to 10X the speed of conventional barcode readers.
- 2DMax with PowerGrid is designed to read 2D codes with significant damage to or complete elimination of a code’s finder or clocking pattern, or quiet zone.
- The 8700DX features high dynamic range (HDR) imaging that uses the latest CMOS image sensor technology to acquire single images that are significantly more detailed than conventional sensor images. This enhances image quality and contrast and captures features that are not visible without HDR.
- A high-speed multi-core processor enables much faster response times, reading codes in under 150 milliseconds.
- High speed liquid lens technology within the DataMan 8700DX automatically adapts to changes in working distances without any configuration or wait time focus.
- Integrated diffuse, polarized, and direct lighting enables superior image formation to read dot peen, laser-etched, and label-based codes on shiny, cylindrical, and dark surfaces without any hot spots.
#2: Devices with rugged, robust housing
In the past, oils and fluids surrounding an application site have quickly damaged barcode scanners, but the DataMan 8700 Series is built to last in the harshest environments. It has IP67-rated housing and meets the ISO 16750-5 oil specification for oil resistance. It is submergible in one meter of water without causing damage and withstands multiple drops from 2.5 meters onto concrete.
#3: Devices that make setup is easy and offer a range of communication options
The DataMan 8700 Series was built with a first-of-its-kind OLED display screen to make setup easy and to give operators quick and intuitive feedback without connecting to a PC.
- Setup the reader using the configurator buttons below the screen
- Name the reader to know which station it belongs to
- View the wireless signal strength to ensure the reader is within range
- Monitor battery life so the reader doesn’t power down mid-shift
- Review code data to ensure a successful read